Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hola from Quito!

I made it safely to Quito last night after having spent a whole day on planes, nervous as can be.  My host mom, Sandra, picked me up from the airport and took me back to her home.  She is very nice and helpful, as is her elderly mother, Irene.  It took me a while to fall asleep with all the excitement of finally being here but today I am refreshed and ready to begin the great adventure. 

I've had the morning to myself, but my first class is today from 3-6pm.  I'm excited to get out and see the city in the daylight.  I looked out onto the city from Irene's terrace and it is huge!  The city sprawls and is surrounded by mountains--I am reminded vaguely of Mexico when I look around.  There is a cathedral in the distance and a statue of the Virgin Mary on a mountain where an indigenous temple used to stand before the Spanish destroyed it.

I will become more eloquent and thorough in my writing once I have actually started to experience Ecuadorian life.  For now, I am very optimistic about the whole experience!

Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment