Sunday, April 10, 2011

Living it up in Quito, Ecuador

So, it's been a loooong while since I've posted. I'm just generally terrible at keeping up with blogs.

Anyway, I've been in Quito for about 2.5 months now.  Places I've visited so far: Banos, Mindo, Yasuni (the Amazon!!), Esmeraldas, and Otavolo (this weekend).  Not bad, though there are still plenty of places I want to go before leaving.  I'm headed to the beach for Semana Santa and staying in the hotel of a friend.  Should be pretty legit.  There just isn't enough time for everything-I only have 5 weeks left in Ecuador before jetting of to Rio for 2 weeks.  My life is hard.

Observations so far regarding Quito and Ecuador in general:

1. Men are pigs here.  At least, the ones you see on the street here who whistle and make sexist comments.  The worst is when you pass a dude and he mumbles under his breath "princesa", "hermosa", etc.  It grosses me out!  I mean, really, the next time some man makes a pass at me, I might just punch him into sterility.  That being said, not all men are like that.  Just most of them.


2. Family-based culture is the bomb.  I've come to the realization that Americans are generally colder and more distant in their relationships.  I'm comparing this not to the Brits but to the Latinos who host crazy parties that involve all of their family (distant and nuclear) because most everyone lives within half an hour of each other.  I don't know about you but I really like eating carne asada with both my grandma and my cousin (three times removed).  That just sounds like a darn good ol' time.  Also, I'm convinced that it is a healthier way to live since you get the support system of your family at a closer range.

3. Parties are better in Spanish.  No joke.  Yes, half the time I'm just kind of blabbing verbs that aren't conjugate correctly with the few nouns I seem to be able to retain in my brain, but Ecuadorians know how to have fun.  It helps that the drinking age here is 18--wow, what a concept (America!).  Also, it's not all just grinding in a monotonous manner on the dance floor.  People here know how to dance.  Salsa, Bachata, Marimba, you name it and they probably can whip it out in front of you.  If you are in Quito, hit up La Mariscal.  Yes, it is the most touristy section of Quito and you'll encounter tons of blond Germans, but it is also the nightlife center of the city.  Super fun, a great selection of clubs and bars, and ladies get in free most of the places (God, I love being a woman).

4. The Amazon is Amazo-ing!  Okay, that was a terrible play on words but nonetheless true.  I went with my program to Sani Lodge near Yasuni National Park and I seriously debated hiding in a tree so I wouldn't have to leave.  It's just too gorgeous.  You think you've seen it in the movies?  Nothing compared to the real thing.  The fantastic hues of green, the hot humidity that smacks you in the face, the ambiental noise of birds and howler monkeys constantly in the background--it is all so real.  We went on walks through the jungle, encountered sneaky caiman on our nightime canoe rides, swam in a piranha-infested lagoon ... everything. 





This picture was taken from a canoe on our way to one of our jungle walks.  Okay, I'm not the best photographer but just so you get an idea of it all. 

There is so much more to say about Ecuador but it's hard to put it all into words.  I'll try to be better about updates.

Hayley

Also, for the sake of Emma, I must also add this picture:
 Emma, I think you'll agree that we are a cute couple. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment